Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 1,501 to 1,508 of 1508

Thread: Comic Thread 3

Roids
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Issue #3 begins on the Death Star, where Imperial operatives are watching the destruction of the holy city. Jyn Erso is in Saw Gerrera's camp, along with the other anti-heroes, and they barely make it out alive. Back on the Death Star, soon-to-be Grand Moff Tarkin and Director Krennic are having their pissing match which we know ends with Tarkin being in control over the Death Star. Then the remaining rebels go to talk with Jyn Erso's father for some reason, and somehow they all don't get killed.

The "find Galen Erso" arc is a lot of what soured me on the movie. It's well done, the whole, "he has the face of a friend," and, "his weapon was in the sniper configuration," but the scene seemed like a contrived way of putting father and daughter together in an improbable meeting that no Rebel officer would give the go-ahead to. Fortunately, it lasts even shorter in the comics than it does in the movie, so there's that.

In my blog post about Issue #2, I mention that science fiction is better suited to television than it is to movies. On Facebook, I further stated that science fiction is best suited to books, magazines, and comics. Then television. Then movies. Of course, I like books, magazines, and comics more than I like TV, and I like TV more than I like movies, so I hope this doesn't belie a sense of certainty in this assessment.

-Inventor of the penis enlargement pill

Roids
    Green Lanterns, Issue #24 concludes the training arc with Simon Baz/Kyle Rayner and Jessica Cruz/Guy Gardner. All Baz has to do to pass is punch Rayner in the face. Jessica Cruz has put her training in jeopardy by punching Gardner in the face, beginning a fight. Then it goes to the Volthoom arc from 10 billion years ago, on Mars, where Z'Kran Z'Rann, the White Martian, overcomes great fear to become one of the first seven Green Lanterns. Z'Rann's old ring, one of the original seven, is now on Jessica Cruz's finger, leading Volthoom to request Cruz and Baz to help him go to the edge of the universe in the following arc.

Cruz's character has been progressing nicely. Just six months ago, she still couldn't make constructs with her ring, merely shooting out beams with it and stuff. Now she's able to handle her own in a fight with Guy Gardner. Gardner isn't a very likeable person, so it's no surprise that he ends up on the losing end of their fight. Baz, when the current run began, was getting some unique powers from the ring, like Emerald Sight and being able to pull his brother out of a coma. It looked like he was going to become one of the most powerful Green Lanterns, yet his character has evolved as well. He no longer carries a pistol, but under Rayner, he's become aware of his own limitations.

Roids
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Issue #4 promises Darth Vader, and it delivers. It continues the arc from Issue #3 which involves the meeting between Jyn Erso and Galen Erso, which the latter doesn't survive. Then we get the Darth Vader goodness. Seriously, the Star Wars producers need to get James Earl Jones to make every sound the way that woman who did Siri did, so we can have him say anything. Over 20 years ago, when I lived in Japan, I loved the BBC Star Wars dramatizations for radio, but they weren't the same without Jones.

Despite this issue's unfortunate beginnings - I hated the "Erso reunion" scenes in the movie - this is a pretty good issue. We get to see Darth Vader, Mon Mothma, Yavin 4, and all the other fun stuff. This issue also captures the unique humor of Star Wars, which is the difference between good Star Wars and great Star Wars. While I didn't like Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, the movie, very much (I liked Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace better, much to the chagrin of my nephew), it has elements of greatness.

Roids
    Green Lanterns, Issue #25 is a 30+page anniversary issue. The title debuted one year earlier, and has been published twice a month since then. Like the last few issues, there's a flashback to 10 billion years ago, when the first seven Green Lanterns got their rings, the story of Tyran'r of Tamaran. Somehow, he's still alive and guarding the Vault of Shadows, where Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz have traveled with Volthoom, who inhabits the body of Rami, the Rogue Guardian. Finally, Volthoom reveals himself.

And there's more. This is a particularly convoluted issue, one that even an ardent follower of Green Lantern and Green Lanterns would have trouble making heads or tails of. There are actually two tales of the first seven Green Lanterns. I mean, these are okay enough stories, but the two of them kind of break the flow of the issue, especially an issue with such an important reveal as this one (Volthoom escaping in body with his Power Ring from the Vault of Shadows).

I'm getting closer to getting caught up with this series, as Issue #27 came out yesterday. I'm all caught up with Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and Clue, and I don't have that much left with Copperhead and Old Man Logan.

Roids
    Quote Originally Posted by Fists of Palm View Post
    Sure, it's a statement that the characters all die, but I didn't find one of them that I could relate to.
    Nice spoiler, asshat.

Though in fairness, I have Rogue One on my computer, watched half of it months ago but couldn't finish it. I keep telling myself I will some time, but like you say, I just don't give a shit about any of the characters or how the movie ends.
    "My own .50 cal cawk." -Constantine bragging about his half inch dick.

"I was at my peak and had at least 60lbs on her. i started it not wanting to bash her; she tore into me like she wanted me dead. didn't dismantle me entirely, but out-punched me, out-boxed me, surprised me and embarrassed me." -Jimmy β

Roids
    It has its clever bits. It explains why the Death Star was so easily blown up, how Princess Leia got the Death Star plans, and shit like that. Now they need to make a movie that explains why Rogue One: A Star Wars Story sucks so much.

The Han Solo movie seems to be in trouble, speaking of Star Wars. One director quit, and I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I think they're rushing out too many movies at once. When Disney bought out the Star Wars franchise, I told my nephews that there'd be a new Star Wars movie every two or three years, but they're trying to put one out every year, which makes no sense to me.

I remember 1981, finding out that there'd be another Star Wars movie. I remember seeing the commercial with my mom; I was eight. I remember going 16 long years between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace. Three movies in three years makes the series a lot less special.

Roids
    Clue, Issue #2 begins with a focus on Professor Orchid. He is a gay Pakistani man who the deceased A. Body apparently had information about. Detectives Amarillo and Ochre then find out that Mr. Body had information - perhaps intended for blackmail - about all the guests, but why did Mrs. Peacock die? Things really heat up when two suspects escape the mansion, and Detective Ochre is attacked.

If you're a fan of the movie Clue with Tim Curry, you might want to check this one out. It's actually better in a number of ways, as there are multiple attacks, and it's a sincere mystery, as opposed to a formulaic comedy. I particularly like the use of color by Nelson Daniel, the artist. Paul Allor remains my favorite IDW writer, and the letters by Neil Uyetake are consistent and legible, with emphasized words both italicized and bolded.

Roids
    Green Lanterns, Issue #26 begins 10 billion years ago, when Volthoom and Rami forge the First Ring. Rami, of course, is a Guardian of the Universe, and Volthoom is the First Lantern, from Earth-15, which was destroyed by unknown forces. The interplay between them is excellent, an extremely emotional Volthoom and Rami, who is supposed to have forsworn emotions, yet he is the most emotional of the Guardians. You see Volthoom losing control and eventually...

There's a Snickers ad that I thought was part of the story; it was very annoying. Also, the usually excellent lettering is a little too small, in particular, Rami's narration, which takes the form of script on lined paper. I could still read it, but I had to struggle to do so. At 44, I don't have the eyes I did at 14. The story of Rami and Volthoom is nice, and I'm excited to see what happens between them and Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz in the following issues. Issue #27 came out a few days ago, and I already have it.