Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 1625

Thread: Comic Thread 3

Roids
    What's up with the new format? How come whenever I copy and paste, the paragraphs all become one? And why aren't there two editing modes?
    -Inventor of the penis enlargement pill

Roids
    The Unworthy Thor, Issue #5 concludes the limited series. Odinson finds the other Mjolnir, wields it, and returns Asgard to its place in the universe. The big question is whether the other Mjolnir calls for him; it doesn't, so he leaves it on the ground on Asgard, where it waits for the person to whom it calls. Thor continues on with his battle axe and his talking canine, freed from the Collector, along with the Collector's other creatures.

I'll admit it; I was swerved by the ending. I thought Odinson would ride off into the sunset with his new Mjolnir and become regular old Thor again. The story ties into an earlier story where the God Butcher tells then-Thor that all the gods are Unworthy. Odinson realizes that he must remain unworthy, perhaps to become worthy in the future. The story will be continued in Ultimate Thor. I have read a few Thor limited series and series, but I've never been a huge fan, although Jason Aaron is starting to turn me around.

Roids
    Old Man Logan, Issue #20 is the second part of the two-issue "Gone Real Bad" story. In the first issue, Logan tries to persuade his magic-wielding friends to send him into his past, where he saved one of David Banner's grandchildren. In that timeline, he abandons the grandson, and that grandson - under the influence of someone else - grows up to be the most tyrannical ruler the Wastelands have ever seen. Logan has to go back to that part of his past (which is actually in the future) and save the grandson before he becomes evil..

]Issue #19 sees Logan about to break Asmodeus out of prison. In Issue #20, he does, bringing Asmodeus his scepter and robe. To complete the spell, they must go to the secret location where Asmodeus keeps his sacred and magic objects, a storage compartment in New Jersey. Asmodeus keeps his end of the bargain - he sends Logan into his past - but he doesn't send him exactly into the past Logan wants. Issue #21 sees Logan fighting the War of 1812.

Last edited by Fists of Palm; 06-20-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Roids
    Old Man Logan, Issue #21 and Issue #22 form the first half of the "Past Lives" arc. In Issue #20, Old Man Logan freed Asmodeus from prison only to become trapped, himself - in time. Logan finds himself fighting the War of 1812, being tested on in Weapon X, seeing Jean Grey turn into Phoenix, and seeing other ghosts from his past. Powerless to change the pasts he visits so far, he must keep hold of a magical medallion given to him by Asmodeus who controls Logan's body back in the present, where he's selling it to the highest bidder.

This is an interesting arc, and I by no mean want to disparage it, but it plays like a "Greatest Hits" album or a "Clip Episode" of The Simpsons. It is being done with a new artistic team (E. Nguyen and Mossa). I do love the old team of Sorrentino and Maiolo, but this team is just as good and definitely up to the task of revisiting pieces of Wolverine's past. I also think that this may be one of the more memorable series I've come across in the past two years or so, perhaps worthy of an omnibus.

Roids
    Copperhead, Issue #12 begins with Clara Bronson reacting to the revelation from Issue #11 that Zeke has become the new mayor. She doesn't like it, but Zeke claims that he won't be the puppet of Copperhead's richest citizen, Hickory, and that he'll actually do some good. She goes home to find more trouble there. Clay Ford is in town, and she and he have history together. On top of that is the revelation that the old mayor wasn't killed by a bullet but by some sort of alien worm.

I haven't read much of Copperhead's third arc - I kinda' took a break from comics around the time it started - but somehow I remember all of the characters in it. It's always been one of my favorite "what if" comics. What if it had a long run? What if it got some crossover exposure? I really think it's good, for fans of Saga and Firefly. I'll try to catch up next week.

Roids
    The Garden of Words is a highly acclaimed one-shot manga book from 2013 that was made into a movie the year it came out. The basic story is of a 15-year-old boy and a 27-year-old woman who become friends in Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden in Tokyo. They meet one day when both are playing hookey, him from school to draw pictures of women's shoes, and her from work to drink beer and eat chocolate. They initially speak very little, but when she parts with a poem fragment, he becomes obsessed, and they meet every morning it rains. Later on, he finds out that she is a teacher at his school.

I love short manga like this, especially romance. While Nisekoi has gone on for nearly 30 volumes and A Silent Voice for seven, The Garden of Words sits by itself as a simple work of 200 pages. There's something to be said about these books, not traditional romance but more "slice of life," to use an overused term. I absolutely loved it.

Roids
    I Am Groot, Issue #1 starts off as a "Guardians of the Galaxy" comic, with the whole gang flying through space. Star Lord is in command, but when he hits the head, baby Groot, who hasn't grown up much, takes control, flying them toward a strange object in space. Just as they are trying to figure out what it is, Groot flies them through it into another dimension. They get back just in time, as the anomaly is closing, but during all the chaos, Groot took an escape pod down to the planet. The baby Groot is all by himself.

Anyway, that's the setup. Issue #2 came out on Wednesday, but I wanted to see if I liked Issue #1 enough to keep reading it. I am starting to read more comics, so if I get through all or almost all of the comics I bought this week, I'll buy Issue #2 next week. I'm kinda' intrigued by someone trying to understand the language of baby Groot. The fact that I read it at all today, with Titan, Issue #5; The Punisher, Issue #13; and Saga, Issue #44all coming out this week is encouraging. I'm interested.

Roids
    Titan, Issue #5 is the conclusion of a wonderful space opera, pitting the humans versus the Titans, a genetically engineered race of humans that are twice as tall, twice as productive, and incapable of living on the high gravity of Earth because of their great size. Touching on themes of love, betrayal, rebellion, unionism, and war, Titan takes place at the end of the 22nd century, mostly on Saturn's moon of Titan. The scenery is magnificent for a trichromatic comic, the scope galactic, the characters unforgettable.

I wasn't expecting Issue #5 to come out this week, but my local comic book store clerk knew I was a big fan of the title and pointed it out to me. It's a double issue - 64 pages instead of 32 - with a few pages of excess prose to complete the story near the end, but it's easy to read. One of the things I love about this title is the language; it has its own slang, and personal titles are written without vowels, like "MNGR Joao" instead of "Manager Joao." The detail of the writing is superb.

Roids
    Saga, Issue #44 sees Marko and Alana in the Badlands outside Abortion Town, looking for a doctor that will remove the dead fetus from Alana's womb. The cadre of their allies is growing thinner and thinner, as even Petrichor is in the sights of bandits as the issue ends. Quite frankly, I can't handle losing another character, as so many of them died in the seventh arc, notably in Issue #42. There is also a confusing dream sequence involving Alana, who has gained magical powers somehow.

Petrichor shines in this issue, even though the intersex Wreathean only appears in a few pages. She's lonely, and she's hoping for a partner, which seems unlikely, given her situation. It's about time for some new characters, and perhaps one of them will end up in an intersex love scene with her. Like always, the comedy of this title shines through.

Roids
    The most recent chapter of Berserk had a bunch of penis monsters. Makes sense in context (i guess...), as they are inside of the subconscious of someone who was essentially mentally destroyed by a cataclysmic incident that involved everyone she knew getting brutally murdered in front of her, then she was gang raped.

Roids
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Issue #1 came out three weeks ago, but I'm just getting caught up on the title. I'm not a fan of the movie Rogue One, but I thought I'd give the comic adaptation a shot. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, to me, borders on fan-fiction. It's clever in the way it stitches the holes in A New Hope, but it fails to be a great movie on its own, the way even The Phantom Menace does (I know, I'm hearing boos and hisses from my audience). None of the characters of Rogue One, minus the cameos, live up to even Poe Dameron or Finn, and I wasn't a huge fan of The Force Awakens.

The cover by Phil Noto drew me in, and although I'm not familiar with the creators of the comic - minus VC's Clayton Cowles, who does the lettering - this is a good adaptation. It has the pacing and timing that the movie lacks, although I don't know if I'd have as hard a time reading the entire story as I did sitting through the entire movie. I do know that I'm going to keep reading this title.

Roids
    Clue, Issue #1 is the latest IDW title coming straight to you from the world of retro entertainment, in this case, a board game. In the years before video games, we actually had to (**shudder**) spend time with other people, and one of the ways we did this was playing board games like Monopoly, Parcheesi, and Clue. The premise of the game was that one of the characters is the murderer, and the players would go through rooms, looking for clues. I forget the details of the game beyond that, but it was made into a movie starring Tim Curry. That movie was successful enough to launch a franchise.

I bought this title because of Paul Allor, the author. His title, Tet, blew me away. I've always wanted to read more of his work, but most of what he's done is media tie-in fiction that I haven't been as interested in. I bought one of his Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trades but didn't read it, as I was a little too old for the cartoon when it came out, and I hadn't started reading comics yet (I started four years ago, at the age of 40). I like the issue, and I'll continue to buy more.

Roids
    The Punisher, Issue #13 sees Frank Castle on the streets of New York again. In Issue #1 through Issue #12, he was hot on the tracks of the producers and traffickers of a super-soldier serum called EMC. A lot of people died in that one, so he took a vacation to heal his wounds. When he comes back, one of his guns is missing, a real Dirty Harry model. He has to track it down, and in doing so, he has to punish some people, including the high-school student who broke into his lair. The kid gets off with a warning, of course.

What I love about Becky Cloonan's The Punisher is what goes unsaid. Every frame tells a story, and the characters - even the minor ones - are exceptionally well realized. The kid who stole Frank's gun, for instance, is on a math scholarship to a private school, and he needs money to buy a "Stitch," a Nintendo-Switch-like gaming system he shows off to his friends. When Frank tells the kid to do his homework and get a part-time job, you expect that he does. You kind of root for the kid to do well and show up years later as a lawyer or something.

Roids
    Green Lanterns, Issue #21 is the first Green Lantern comic I've read in a while. I figured I'd start reading an issue a week or two of my favorite comics until I caught up. The current list includes Green Lanterns, Copperhead, Rogue One, Kill or Be Killed, and Old Man Logan. I'm just as busy as before, but I've found time to read a few comics a week.

There are a couple of reasons why I picked Green Lanterns despite it coming out every two weeks. The characters and situations are as complex as those in a good novel. Volthoom isn't in this issue, but I can't wait for him to come back. Also, Issue #22 promises to tie in with the Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps arc. I'm a fan.

Roids
    Green Lanterns, Issue #22 starts the "Lost in Space" arc. Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz, in the middle of fighting Magneto, are called to Planet Mogo. Mogo is a sentient planet that is a member of the Green Lantern Corps and now the Green Lantern Corps' homeworld. Needless to say, Jessica Cruz freaks out. She calls a halt to their redeployment, and she is met by Kyle Rayner, who calms her down and helps her get to Mogo, safe and sound. Oh, and in case you've forgotten about Volthoom, he's still in the body of Rami, the rogue Guardian, and he's reunited with the last two remaining Guardians.

I loved this issue. For the past 22 issues, I've simply been enjoying Baz and Cruz, but now they're being brought back into the main Green Lantern storyline, which has taken place in the series Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. I haven't kept up with that series, so it was nice to see some more galactic trouble included in the Green Lanterns series. I'll be reading Issue #23 forthwith.

Roids
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Issue #2 introduces several new characters, including the blind priest and Saw Gerrera. The main character, with the utterly forgettable name of Jyn Erso, has gone to the holy city of Jedha, where the Empire is mining for Kyber Crystals, which are used in the making of both Jedi lightsabers and the Death Star. From what I've read, the Sith lightsbers are red because they cannot sense Kyber Crystals after turning to the Dark Side of the Force, but somehow, they happened upon a bunch.

Perhaps it's a cultural icon of the Sith to use red lightsabers, and given that the Empire found a whole bunch of Kyber Crystals pretty easily, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could use other-colored lightsabers if they'd chosen to do so. I didn't like the movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story; it lacks the flow and energy of even the prequel trilogy, which many people didn't like, and it lacks the characters of the other seven movies. Sure, it's a statement that the characters all die, but I didn't find one of them that I could relate to.

Roids
    Green Lanterns, Issue #23 begins with Jessica Cruz stripped of her Lantern emblem and undergoing basic training with Guy Gardner, while Simon Baz is undergoing advanced training with Kyle Rayner and Volthoom in the body of Rami is tasked with the rebuilding of the Green Lantern Corps rings. Then it goes into a story from 10 billion years ago that I didn't quite follow, something about the Old Gods.

I don't see where this title is going right now. "Training" arcs can work pretty well, in genres as diverse as Rocky and Hunter X Hunter or Naruto. I just haven't gotten into the Volthoom arc yet, but it seems likely that the creators know where they're going with it. I do like the Rayner/Baz and Gardner/Cruz scenes so far. We'll just have to see where the title goes from here.

Roids
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Issue #3 begins on the Death Star, where Imperial operatives are watching the destruction of the holy city. Jyn Erso is in Saw Gerrera's camp, along with the other anti-heroes, and they barely make it out alive. Back on the Death Star, soon-to-be Grand Moff Tarkin and Director Krennic are having their pissing match which we know ends with Tarkin being in control over the Death Star. Then the remaining rebels go to talk with Jyn Erso's father for some reason, and somehow they all don't get killed.

The "find Galen Erso" arc is a lot of what soured me on the movie. It's well done, the whole, "he has the face of a friend," and, "his weapon was in the sniper configuration," but the scene seemed like a contrived way of putting father and daughter together in an improbable meeting that no Rebel officer would give the go-ahead to. Fortunately, it lasts even shorter in the comics than it does in the movie, so there's that.

In my blog post about Issue #2, I mention that science fiction is better suited to television than it is to movies. On Facebook, I further stated that science fiction is best suited to books, magazines, and comics. Then television. Then movies. Of course, I like books, magazines, and comics more than I like TV, and I like TV more than I like movies, so I hope this doesn't belie a sense of certainty in this assessment.

Roids
    Green Lanterns, Issue #24 concludes the training arc with Simon Baz/Kyle Rayner and Jessica Cruz/Guy Gardner. All Baz has to do to pass is punch Rayner in the face. Jessica Cruz has put her training in jeopardy by punching Gardner in the face, beginning a fight. Then it goes to the Volthoom arc from 10 billion years ago, on Mars, where Z'Kran Z'Rann, the White Martian, overcomes great fear to become one of the first seven Green Lanterns. Z'Rann's old ring, one of the original seven, is now on Jessica Cruz's finger, leading Volthoom to request Cruz and Baz to help him go to the edge of the universe in the following arc.

Cruz's character has been progressing nicely. Just six months ago, she still couldn't make constructs with her ring, merely shooting out beams with it and stuff. Now she's able to handle her own in a fight with Guy Gardner. Gardner isn't a very likeable person, so it's no surprise that he ends up on the losing end of their fight. Baz, when the current run began, was getting some unique powers from the ring, like Emerald Sight and being able to pull his brother out of a coma. It looked like he was going to become one of the most powerful Green Lanterns, yet his character has evolved as well. He no longer carries a pistol, but under Rayner, he's become aware of his own limitations.

Roids
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Issue #4 promises Darth Vader, and it delivers. It continues the arc from Issue #3 which involves the meeting between Jyn Erso and Galen Erso, which the latter doesn't survive. Then we get the Darth Vader goodness. Seriously, the Star Wars producers need to get James Earl Jones to make every sound the way that woman who did Siri did, so we can have him say anything. Over 20 years ago, when I lived in Japan, I loved the BBC Star Wars dramatizations for radio, but they weren't the same without Jones.

Despite this issue's unfortunate beginnings - I hated the "Erso reunion" scenes in the movie - this is a pretty good issue. We get to see Darth Vader, Mon Mothma, Yavin 4, and all the other fun stuff. This issue also captures the unique humor of Star Wars, which is the difference between good Star Wars and great Star Wars. While I didn't like Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, the movie, very much (I liked Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace better, much to the chagrin of my nephew), it has elements of greatness.

Roids
    Green Lanterns, Issue #25 is a 30+page anniversary issue. The title debuted one year earlier, and has been published twice a month since then. Like the last few issues, there's a flashback to 10 billion years ago, when the first seven Green Lanterns got their rings, the story of Tyran'r of Tamaran. Somehow, he's still alive and guarding the Vault of Shadows, where Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz have traveled with Volthoom, who inhabits the body of Rami, the Rogue Guardian. Finally, Volthoom reveals himself.

And there's more. This is a particularly convoluted issue, one that even an ardent follower of Green Lantern and Green Lanterns would have trouble making heads or tails of. There are actually two tales of the first seven Green Lanterns. I mean, these are okay enough stories, but the two of them kind of break the flow of the issue, especially an issue with such an important reveal as this one (Volthoom escaping in body with his Power Ring from the Vault of Shadows).

I'm getting closer to getting caught up with this series, as Issue #27 came out yesterday. I'm all caught up with Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and Clue, and I don't have that much left with Copperhead and Old Man Logan.

Roids
    Quote Originally Posted by Fists of Palm View Post
    Sure, it's a statement that the characters all die, but I didn't find one of them that I could relate to.
    Nice spoiler, asshat.

Though in fairness, I have Rogue One on my computer, watched half of it months ago but couldn't finish it. I keep telling myself I will some time, but like you say, I just don't give a shit about any of the characters or how the movie ends.
    "My own .50 cal cawk." -Constantine bragging about his half inch dick.

"I was at my peak and had at least 60lbs on her. i started it not wanting to bash her; she tore into me like she wanted me dead. didn't dismantle me entirely, but out-punched me, out-boxed me, surprised me and embarrassed me." -Jimmy β

Roids
    It has its clever bits. It explains why the Death Star was so easily blown up, how Princess Leia got the Death Star plans, and shit like that. Now they need to make a movie that explains why Rogue One: A Star Wars Story sucks so much.

The Han Solo movie seems to be in trouble, speaking of Star Wars. One director quit, and I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I think they're rushing out too many movies at once. When Disney bought out the Star Wars franchise, I told my nephews that there'd be a new Star Wars movie every two or three years, but they're trying to put one out every year, which makes no sense to me.

I remember 1981, finding out that there'd be another Star Wars movie. I remember seeing the commercial with my mom; I was eight. I remember going 16 long years between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace. Three movies in three years makes the series a lot less special.

Roids
    Clue, Issue #2 begins with a focus on Professor Orchid. He is a gay Pakistani man who the deceased A. Body apparently had information about. Detectives Amarillo and Ochre then find out that Mr. Body had information - perhaps intended for blackmail - about all the guests, but why did Mrs. Peacock die? Things really heat up when two suspects escape the mansion, and Detective Ochre is attacked.

If you're a fan of the movie Clue with Tim Curry, you might want to check this one out. It's actually better in a number of ways, as there are multiple attacks, and it's a sincere mystery, as opposed to a formulaic comedy. I particularly like the use of color by Nelson Daniel, the artist. Paul Allor remains my favorite IDW writer, and the letters by Neil Uyetake are consistent and legible, with emphasized words both italicized and bolded.

Roids
    Green Lanterns, Issue #26 begins 10 billion years ago, when Volthoom and Rami forge the First Ring. Rami, of course, is a Guardian of the Universe, and Volthoom is the First Lantern, from Earth-15, which was destroyed by unknown forces. The interplay between them is excellent, an extremely emotional Volthoom and Rami, who is supposed to have forsworn emotions, yet he is the most emotional of the Guardians. You see Volthoom losing control and eventually...

There's a Snickers ad that I thought was part of the story; it was very annoying. Also, the usually excellent lettering is a little too small, in particular, Rami's narration, which takes the form of script on lined paper. I could still read it, but I had to struggle to do so. At 44, I don't have the eyes I did at 14. The story of Rami and Volthoom is nice, and I'm excited to see what happens between them and Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz in the following issues. Issue #27 came out a few days ago, and I already have it.