Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Thread 3

Roids
    No, I haven't read Preacher, and now's a good time to start. The series is coming out in 12- or 15-issue books (originally OHCs printed in paperback form) which run $11 to $15 on Amazon. You can basically get the whole run for around $70, which is good for 75 comics. I might go for it.

I read the first volume of Preacher. It's supposed to be great, but I found it the humor and "shock" value to be really forced, distracting from what had potential to be a great story.

Roids
    Quote Originally Posted by This Fucking Place View Post
    I read the first volume of Preacher. It's supposed to be great, but I found it the humor and "shock" value to be really forced, distracting from what had potential to be a great story.
    That's what I've heard from a few people who've read it. Others think that it's pretty good. AMC is making a TV series out of it with Seth Rogen.

Roids
    Bone, Vol. 8: Treasure Hunters sees the heroes finally reaching the royal city of Atheia, but by the time they get there, an usurper has taken power. Meanwhile, the rat creatures and the Pawans are poised to attack the city, and the usurper's forces are more concerned with finding Rose and Thorn than defending the city.

This is a better outing than Vol. 7, mostly because of the tension throughout the volume, which culminates in an enemy attack. Phoney and Smiley Bone are back to providing comedic relief, and they shine in that role. ****1/4

Roids
    Preacher is great. Haters gonna hate.

I highly suggest you read Berserk. It's a lot better than most of what you've listed in your comic threads.

Roids
    Neat. Outlaw Nation is available pretty cheap in a one-volume edition, and Beserk looks good. I've already ordered Preacher, Book 1. Thanks for the recommendations.

Roids
    Check this out as well, rubes Amazon.com: The EC Comics Slipcase Vol. 1 (Vol. 1-4) (9781606997284): Jack Davis, Al Feldstein, Harvey Kurtzman, Wallace Wood: Books

I really, really enjoyed it. Most of the strips are from the 50's but the stories and artwork would not be out of place today.

Roids
    I finally finished the 1344 pages of Bone with Bone, Vol. 9: Crown of Horns. This is the final battle between good and evil. Rockjaw makes an appearance, but it is a silent one, and we miss his moral relativism. Perhaps his silence is message enough.

Vol. 9 is one of the stronger Bone books, but in the end, Bone is greater than the sum of its parts. While I'm giving Bone, Vol. 9 ****1/2, I'm giving Bone as a whole ****3/4 because it is such a great epic. It felt heavy on my stomach, which was full of hot wings left over from Memorial Day, and a three-volume edition might've been less unwielding, but I loved Bone almost from beginning to end. Highest recommendations.

Roids
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeneezer View Post
    Check this out as well, rubes Amazon.com: The EC Comics Slipcase Vol. 1 (Vol. 1-4) (9781606997284): Jack Davis, Al Feldstein, Harvey Kurtzman, Wallace Wood: BooksI really, really enjoyed it. Most of the strips are from the 50's but the stories and artwork would not be out of place today.
    Nice, but I think that if I were to spend $50+ on an omnibus edition, there are a few I'd buy first, like some of Jodoworsky's work, Manara's Erotica and Geoff John's Green Lantern omnibus, which is coming out later this year.

Roids
    Finishing a long series is always tough, and I've finished two in the past three days, Bone and Y - The Last Man. Summer's coming up, and I still haven't heard from S.D.S.U. about my application for their technical writing program, which is slowly driving me crazy. I put in a good application and should get into the program, but I have no idea how organized they are. Chew, Vol. 3: Just Desserts (issues #11 through #15 of Chew) marks a change in Tony Chu's life. The cibopathic F.D.A. agent is still investigating crimes and can still tell the origin of any piece of food by eating it, but he has a girlfriend. It takes awhile for her to get used to Tony's eccentricities, which are without a doubt quite unique. Both of them have psychotic ex-partners. While I did enjoy this edition - it's engaging and action-packed - I didn't laugh out loud the way I did with the first two volumes, and that's why I'm giving it ***3/4. Still, the drama and storytelling is arguably better than the previous volumes, although the length of the storyline arcs didn't match the length of the TPB. This isn't necessarily a bad thing; while the Amelia arc lasted the length of the TPB, no other arc did. Worthy, and I will read Vol. 4.

Did you read Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths?

Roids
    No, I haven't read much manga.

Roids
    Chew, Vol. 4: Flambe collects issues #16 through #20 of Chew. At the end of Vol. 3, a strange, alien writing appeared across the sky, and Tony and his sister are sent by N.A.S.A. to investigate. They foil a scheme, and back on Earth, so to speak, Tony and his regular partner investigate a doomsday cult.

Vol. 3 was a more transitional period in the comic, and with Vol. 4, we get on to a more continuing story. In short, things are all coming together. I still haven't laughed out loud like I did with the first two volumes, but this was good, and I really liked it. ****1/4

Quote Originally Posted by Fists of Palm View Post
    No, I haven't read much manga.
    Don't think of it as Manga. It's just a Japanese graphic novel. Think of it like you would a Kurosawa film. I guarantee you will love it.

Roids
    I'll look for it.

Roids
    Chew, Vol. 5: Major League Chew collects issues #21 through #25 of Chew. Tony Chu is no longer with the F.D.A., and he's missing. So is his daughter, Olive Chu. There are plots galore in this short TPB.

Chew is back in form with this hilarious collection. I didn't laugh uncontrollably, but I laughed, and I liked the collection from beginning to end. There's so much I like about this comic, but so little I can tell about it without giving away what makes it great in the first place. Read Chew, and keep reading it. ****1/2

Roids
    In Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes, Tony Chu is still recovering from his wounds from Vol. 5, and his friends, former partners and family are out saving the world under the supervision of the F.D.A., the U.S.D.A. and N.A.S.A. This volume collects issues #26 through #30 of Chew and Chew Secret Agent Poyo #1.

This collection is FUCKING funny. Although Tony Chu and Olive Chu, my two favorite characters, played little or no role in this TPB, the other characters shine through. Highest recommendations. *****

Roids
    Chew, Vol. 7: Bad Apples is another transitional collection, leading up to the badassery that is Vol. 8. Tony Chu has changed. Instead of being the lovable loser whose asshole boss makes him eat shit and dead bodies, he can now gain powers from eating super-powered humans. His boss is now afraid of him.

This is top-notch stuff, even though the death of one of the characters in Vol. 6 kinda' puts a damper on it. I did like Tony Chu as the loser better than Tony Chu the badass, but this is still an excellent and funny collection. I can't wait for Vol. 8.

Roids
    Chew, Vol. 8: Family Recipes is the latest volume of Chew. Vol. 9 should come out by the end of the year. Family Recipes involves psychedelic toads, a space plant that tastes like chicken, severed toes and a whole lot of fun.

If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to hire a composer to play music when I get to the end of a TPB, a different tune for each series. This is awesome, awesome stuff, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. ****1/2

Roids
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeneezer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by This Fucking Place View Post
    Did you read Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths?
    I've ordered both of these, along with:
    • Preacher, Book 1
    • Andre the Giant
    • Daredevil by Kevin Smith
    • RASL by Jeff Smith
    • Deux Ex Machine, Book 1
    • Saga, Vols. 2-3
    • Safe Area Gorazde: The War in Eastern Bosnia 1992-1995
    • Pretty Deadly, Vol. 1
    • James Sturm's America: God, Gold, and Golems

Roids
    No Berserk? I'd link you to the Amazon page but I'm on my phone in the Dominican. I guess it's a good idea to read other stuff first, rather than start with the best.

Roids
    I meant to look for Beserk when I went to the library today. It slipped my mind.

Roids
    At the library, I found a couple of graphic novels worth reading. The first I read was The Plot by Will Eisner. Eisner is fucking kickass, and this is the fourth of his books that I've reviewed in this topic. In The Plot, he tackles The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, how it was forged and its history. Basically, The Protocols of the Elders of Zion was created by a Russian intelligence agent, copied from a French book that had nothing to do with the Jews, A Conversation Between Machiavelli and Montesquieu in Hell.

Very, very few historical comics make my reading list, although the ones that have (Maus, Louis Riel, Logicomix) I've really enjoyed. Even though I knew quite a bit of the particulars about The Protocols of the Elders of Zion before reading this book, I still enjoyed it and read it almost in a go. I'll bring it back to the library tomorrow, in hopes that someone else will read it, as people should. ****

That reminds me. I still need to read A Contract With God.

Roids
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2 is a departure from Vol. 1 in that it involves Martian invaders, a la H.G. Wells. There is some intrigue, and a few people die. There have been subsequent volumes, but this is really the end of the series.

See, here's the thing with Alan Moore. His writing is excellent, and he always gets good artists to work with him, but there's something about his stuff that simply drags on for me. I would give this collection ***** for how good it is, or *** for how much I enjoyed it. I'm leaning towards the latter and giving it ***1/2

Alan Moore is the only person to write the perfect Superman story, except he named him Dr. Manhattan.

Roids
    I generally don't like Superman, but Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman is worth a read, as is Red Son.

Roids
    I've been reading shit from the library while I'm waiting for all my books to come. The latest I picked up was Water Baby by Ross Campbell. It's the story of Brody, a surfer girl who gets her leg bitten off by a shark. She lives with her mom, and her friend Louisa. Things start to fall apart when her ex-boyfriend Jake shows up, and they go on a long road trip up to New York State to get him home.

Water Baby is a step up from 90210 or whatever the kids are watching these days. It's a book for young teens about a girl who's in her late teens. There's a lot of peeing. Despite all that, I had a lot of fun reading it. Once again, it's about ***1/2 for how good it is and about ****1/2 for how easily I read it. Overall, it's ****. It's engaging and fun.

I generally don't like Superman, but Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman is worth a read, as is Red Son.
    I own both, as well as the collection of Superman stories that Alan Moore wrote. I still say his best Superman story is Watchmen.

Roids
    Watchmen is a rare collection I bought but never read. I've also been meaning to get Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Roids
    The perfect Alan Moore superman story, and one of the coolest stories I've ever read, is Miracleman

Well I started reading JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, three books in one sitting last night. Pretty fucking good so far. So far it's about a sociopath that gets adopted by a rich family and tries to ruin the son of the family so he'll become the sole heir. It starts out very realistic and by the end of the 2nd book they start bringing in the supernatural stuff. It's been a while since I've read comics but I'd say I'm pretty much hooked on this one. It is a Japanese manga so you read right to left. I posted it on page two (I think) but I'll repost it for convenience. If Kid is still around, I think you'd like it. It is very long however. I have 585 issues to go (total of 612)

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Manga - Read JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Online at MangaHere.co

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Coker View Post
    The perfect Alan Moore superman story, and one of the coolest stories I've ever read, is Miracleman
    I've been meaning to read this too. Thanks for the reminder.

Roids
    So, I finally started Preacher, Vol. 1: Gone to Texas. I actually ordered Preacher, Book 1, which is 150 pages longer (12 issues instead of seven), but the dumbass who sold the book off Amazon didn't know the difference. At least I got a book for free. Preacher is the story of one man's search for God in all the wrong places.

Preacher is almost 20 years old, but it's still quite decent. People either loved it, or they hated it. I like it so far; the characters and situations are very memorable, and the pacing of the novel is top notch. ****

Roids
    Dr retarded, I'm kid. I started it but got busy and put it on hold. I'm no longer busy so I'll start it again and give a review

Roids
    Aya by Marguerite Abouet & Clement Oubririe is a Drawn and Quarterly publication about life in the Ivory Coast (West Africa) in the 1970s. The main character is Aya, but her friends Adjoua and Bintou are the Goofy and Donald Duck to her Mickey Mouse. They're the ones getting into all the trouble and having all the fun while Aya studies and dreams of becoming a doctor.

This book had a great ending, and it's an excellent look at Africa, a real important work. Hated it. I struggled to finish it, and most of it dragged. ***, though, and it's a worthy read if you see it at the library, like I did.

Roids
    I got Low Moon by Jason in the mail today. It contains five short stories about 40 to 50 pages long each. It's hard to explain Jason's work to people who haven't read it. Often, he takes two genres or two ideas and puts them together. The titular story, for instance, is a chess Western.

I have two of his short books and four collections of his short books, for a total of over 20 stories, and not a single one would I rank as low as ****. This collection is one of the better ones I've read, and perhaps out of all of them, the most accessible. I absolutely loved it. ****3/4

Roids
    One thing you should realize about Berserk before reading (aside from the fact that you read right to left), Berserk begins pretty far along in the story, and then takes you back to the beginning. It's a pretty quick read, you can read it for free here: http://view.thespectrum.net/series/b...volume-01.html

Roids
    My readings have been eclectic as of late. I would be reading more of Preacher, but I decided to try the first book before buying the rest of the series. Vols. 2 and 3 are in the mail, along with Daredevil and a ton of other books. I had a little chuckle today because I went to the library, and they had two copies of Logicomix, a mathematical historical comic. I own a copy and love it, but my background is in math.

I read 90 Classic Books for People in a Hurry by Henrik Lange. Basically, 90 books are summarized in a single page using cartoons. The only way to explain it is to show you one of the pages:

90 Books is a 30-to-40-minute read; it's funny and it definitely doesn't take itself too seriously. About 2/3 or 3/4 of the books I'd either read or seen the movie adaptation, but I enjoyed the stories about the books I hadn't read just as much. Originally published in French. ****

Roids
    One thing you should realize about Berserk before reading (aside from the fact that you read right to left), Berserk begins pretty far along in the story, and then takes you back to the beginning. It's a pretty quick read, you can read it for free here: http://view.thespectrum.net/series/b...volume-01.html
    Nice, and thanks. I'll try to read the first volume tomorrow.

Roids
    Berserk, Vol. 1 is the first manga I've read. It's a little difficult for beginners because not only do you read from what we call the last page to what we call the first page, but from right to left on each panel. Berserk is the story of Guts, the Black Warrior, and his sidekick, Puck, who is an Elf. They are plagued by evil demons and the like because Guts has a mark on his neck.

Not much is given away in this first novel. It's an easy-ish read, although confusing at times. The artwork, which is mostly in black and white, is simply gorgeous. The author is good at creating mystery; I couldn't help but wonder why this and why that. I'll definitely read another volume when I have the inclination. ***3/4

Roids
    It's a little difficult for beginners because not only do you read from what we call the last page to what we call the first page
    Eh? You read from Page 1 until the end. I hope you didn't start on the last page for some reason and read backwards.

Roids
    I got Low Moon by Jason in the mail today. It contains five short stories about 40 to 50 pages long each. It's hard to explain Jason's work to people who haven't read it. Often, he takes two genres or two ideas and puts them together. The titular story, for instance, is a chess Western.

I have two of his short books and four collections of his short books, for a total of over 20 stories, and not a single one would I rank as low as ****. This collection is one of the better ones I've read, and perhaps out of all of them, the most accessible. I absolutely loved it. ****3/4
    Just ordered it. I noticed some French stories and I thought it would be a good addition to my sad attempts to regain my skills. It better be good, or I'll get Lock to bore you to death.

Roids
    The dialogue in Jason's work is sparse. He's lived in a number of countries, including France and America. He's Norwegian, but he does some of his work in French.

Roids
    Sparse is about all the French I can handle, these days.

Roids
    Berserk, Vol. 2 continues the story of Guts, the Black Swordsman. He goes after the vicious Count, who has a daemon inside of him, and they lock in mortal combat. And then the story ends, to be continued in Vol. 3.

This is more hack-'em-up, slash-'em-up goodness. Manga is read by people of all ages in Japan, but although there are some decidedly adult themes, I get the feeling that this is written for a younger, less educated crowd. I do like the Count's motivation, and there is enough good in this series for me to continue reading it. ***3/4

Roids

Anybody?
    I balanced all, brought all to mind,
    The years to come seemed waste of breath,
    A waste of breath the years behind
    In balance with this life, this death

Roids
    Do you read blade of the immortal from right to left like other manga?

Roids
    I don't remember. I read it in highschool. I think it's left to right.

If you're going to start reading manga, check out Attack on Titan.

Roids
    Attack on Titan is pretty cool. It's always depressing when you catch up to where the manga is currently. It's usually way too slowly paced to read it on a weekly basis unless you're really amazed by the material.

Roids
    Berserk, Vol. 1 is the first manga I've read. It's a little difficult for beginners because not only do you read from what we call the last page to what we call the first page, but from right to left on each panel. Berserk is the story of Guts, the Black Warrior, and his sidekick, Puck, who is an Elf. They are plagued by evil demons and the like because Guts has a mark on his neck.

Not much is given away in this first novel. It's an easy-ish read, although confusing at times. The artwork, which is mostly in black and white, is simply gorgeous. The author is good at creating mystery; I couldn't help but wonder why this and why that. I'll definitely read another volume when I have the inclination. ***3/4
    Just ordered. Thanks, man.

I recently got done with this http://www.amazon.com/Deadworld-Omni...dworld+omnibus

It's not quite as good as The Walking Dead but a damn fine read in and of itself.

Roids
    Berserk, Vol. 2 continues the story of Guts, the Black Swordsman. He goes after the vicious Count, who has a daemon inside of him, and they lock in mortal combat. And then the story ends, to be continued in Vol. 3.

This is more hack-'em-up, slash-'em-up goodness. Manga is read by people of all ages in Japan, but although there are some decidedly adult themes, I get the feeling that this is written for a younger, less educated crowd. I do like the Count's motivation, and there is enough good in this series for me to continue reading it. ***3/4
    Keep in mind if you aren't reading an official english translation the english translation might be lacking. I've seen some excellent fan subs and some total shit ones that left out a lot of nuance. For example, in Berserk it's actually the Falcon, not Band of the Hawk. The main character is Guts, but I've seen it as Gats and Gatz before. Sometimes it's worse than a simple error like these, and sometimes there are things that can't easily be translated due to word play not working in the same manner in English or there not being a direct english word that contains the same meaning.

This is true of all translated works of course, but I thought it might be worth pointing out

Roids
    Keep in mind if you aren't reading an official english translation the english translation might be lacking. I've seen some excellent fan subs and some total shit ones that left out a lot of nuance. For example, in Berserk it's actually the Falcon, not Band of the Hawk. The main character is Guts, but I've seen it as Gats and Gatz before. Sometimes it's worse than a simple error like these, and sometimes there are things that can't easily be translated due to word play not working in the same manner in English or there not being a direct english word that contains the same meaning.

This is true of all translated works of course, but I thought it might be worth pointing out
    Frankly, every English translation I've read has been lackluster. It reads better in Korean, since it's closer to Japanese.

The first three volumes of Berserk are considered the weakest out of the first 20 volumes or so in terms of story, art, and general writing. I thought the same at first and the series didn't really take hold of me until Vol. 4. This was about 10 years ago. Over time though, the first few volumes have become my favorites. They're simple, but there's an emotional intensity to them that's completely absent in the series these days.

Roids
    Quote Originally Posted by asdfasdf View Post
    Frankly, every English translation I've read has been lackluster. It reads better in Korean, since it's closer to Japanese.
    I enjoyed the book much more than the film.
    'Shut your faggot mouth boy. You have no clue as to who the fuck you are addressing.'

Roids
    Quote Originally Posted by asdfasdf View Post

The first three volumes of Berserk are considered the weakest out of the first 20 volumes or so in terms of story, art, and general writing. I thought the same at first and the series didn't really take hold of me until Vol. 4. This was about 10 years ago. Over time though, the first few volumes have become my favorites. They're simple, but there's an emotional intensity to them that's completely absent in the series these days.
    I'm jealous you can read Korean.

The story definitely gets a lot better once it starts to cover Guts from the day he was born.

I'm happy Miura started writing again. This is the year of comebacks, with Berserk returning and Hunter X Hunter finally coming back after 2 years. Not sure if anyone here has ever read Hunter X Hunter, but it's also really good. The author is a lot more text heavy than a lot of other manga so it suffers from bad translation issues more than most. The author is also notorious for basically just sketching his chapters at times. The new arc seems really promising.

Roids
    Andre the Giant: Life and Legend by Box Brown is a 240-page graphic novel about the life of professional wrestling's greatest attraction. It starts with Andre as a 12-year-old boy, when he's too big to ride the bus to school. Andre's father, according to legend, paid the famous author Samuel Beckett a bottle of Beaujolais to drive Andre to school in his truck. At a very young age, Andre began performing as a professional wrestler in France, then Canada, then America and Japan.

I once saw Andre the Giant at a WWF show in the 1980s, during his time as the Giant Machine. He was supposed to wrestle in a tag team match against my favorites, King Kong Bundy and Big John Studd, but to my dismay, he only walked to the ring at the end of the match and choked King Kong Bundy with his singlet. He was huge, and there's no substitute for seeing a large wrestler in person.

I absolutely loved this book, especially at the price of around $10 on Amazon. It's funny, heartwarming and sad. This is what comics were made to do. Not every proportion is as it was in real life. I only downright laughed once while reading the book, but it's still clever and fun. Comics have been using exaggerations for comedic effect ever since, well, ever. I knew a lot of the stories in the novel beforehand, but that didn't abate my enjoyment of it. Best recommendations. ****1/2

Need to add that to my wishlist.

Roids
    I finished Daredevil: Guardian Devil. It's the eight-issue TPB written by Kevin Smith (Chasing Amy, Clerks, etc...) and beautifully illustrated by Joe Quesada. A baby is supposed to be the savior or the anti-Christ. Should Daredevil kill it or save it?

This is an astounding TPB, and it gets high recommendations from me. It's not the most readable story out there, and Smith seems to like the sound of his fingers tapping on the keyboard a bit too much for my taste. I've never been a fan of his movies, but this is a very good book. ****1/2

Roids
    I was very happy to get a used copy of James Sturm's America: God, Gold, and Golems in the mail today. It consists of three stories. "The Revival" takes place in Cane Ridge, Kentucky, in 1801, and it's a short story about a revival where people speak in tongues, sell medicines and preach. "Hundreds of Feet Below Daylight" takes place in Solomon's Gulch, Idaho, in 1886, and it details a gold mine. The heart of the book is "The Golem's Mighty Swing," which I already owned, and which I have already reviewed in this topic.

This is a short collection at 180 or 190 pages, 100 of which are "The Golem's Mighty Swing." I only got 70 or 80 pages of new material, but it was well worth it. This is the type of comic that I absolutely love. I've never been a big superhero guy, and gritty stories of anti-heroes have been in my wheelhouse since I was eight and stayed home from school to watch The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Much loved. ****1/4

Roids
    Now get back to Berserk and get to the point where it starts from the chronological beginning. Volume 4, I think.

Roids
    cheers for the ippo and berserker links you jew cunt, they've been good

Roids
    I didn't finish Vol. 3, although I might get back to it. I got some Preacher in the mail yesterday, and I'll probably get to that next. Tam-Tam has nagged me into reading the Smith/Bendis/Brubaker run of Daredevil, and I've started on it. Unlike Berserk, it's good from the start. I have a lot of stuff I want to read.

Roids
    Quote Originally Posted by who View Post
    cheers for the ippo and berserker links you jew cunt, they've been good
    get ready for sadness when you get all caught up and you realize how slowly they release chapters, especially berserk. still worth reading up to the present of course.

try hunter x hunter and one piece, both are brilliant. kain the god of geometry actually got me to read one piece years ago.

Roids
    I didn't finish Vol. 3, although I might get back to it. I got some Preacher in the mail yesterday, and I'll probably get to that next. Tam-Tam has nagged me into reading the Smith/Bendis/Brubaker run of Daredevil, and I've started on it. Unlike Berserk, it's good from the start. I have a lot of stuff I want to read.
    no worries. i know how it is though when you put something down...sometimes you never pick it back up again. you need to read until the eclipse (an major event) to properly judge Berserk.

A friend of mine keeps trying to get me to read Hunter x Hunter, but I don't generally care for manga. He promises I'll love it though.

Roids
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbeater View Post
    A friend of mine keeps trying to get me to read Hunter x Hunter, but I don't generally care for manga. He promises I'll love it though.
    You could always watch the anime. They just animated almost the entire series, and will be caught up to the present in a matter of months. The manga is good too, but sometimes Togashi got really lazy with his drawings and sometimes the explanations are really tough to understand.

You could always watch the anime. They just animated almost the entire series, and will be caught up to the present in a matter of months. The manga is good too, but sometimes Togashi got really lazy with his drawings and sometimes the explanations are really tough to understand.
    Now that you mention it, I think he said the same thing, "just watch the anime."

Roids
    Fagin the Jew by Will Eisner is a graphic novel detailing Oliver Twist, from Fagin's point of view. It starts with Fagin in old age, having a conversation with Charles Dickens about the use of stereotypes in his novels, morphing into the story of Fagin, starting from his childhood as an Ashkenazi Jew.

This graphic novel conquers many stereotypes, the most important one is that Jews of the lower class were Ashkenazi, rather than Sephardi. In the interesting epilogue, Eisner includes images from the 18th and 19th centuries of poor Jews, who have mostly Sephardi features. It's very word-heavy, especially in the beginning, and it doesn't really take off until it details Oliver Twist's part of the story. ****

Roids
    Fahrenheit 451 by Tim Hamilton is the authorized adaptation of the novel of the same name by Ray Bradbury. Originally written in 1953, the novel depicts a future world where books are illegal and televisions are the size of walls. One man, whose job it is to burn books - a fireman - tastes the forbidden fruit, reading books.

This isn't the most engaging comic book I've ever read, but the basic story is good. It's in color, but only to an annoying degree. There are a lot of olive tones, with reds, yellows and oranges for the fires. At 149 pages long, it cannot capture all the nuances of the novel, but I enjoyed it a little. ***

Roids
    Saga, Volume Two collects issues #7 through #12 of Saga, and it continues the story of Marko, Alana and their baby girl as they ward off freelancers and Prince Robot IV. They travel in a rocket tree, and they have two new passengers: Marco's parents.

I was fascinated by the cast of characters and found myself reading it almost in a go. The artwork is very imaginative, and the dialogue and motivations are totally believable. I really like this series. ****1/2

Roids
    Saga, Volume Three by Brian K. Vaughan collects issues #13 through #18 of Saga. It starts with Alana, Marko and the others' arrival on Quietus. Their reason for going there is to find the author of the novel that inspired Marko and Alana's love. But at the same time, they're being chased. Lying Cat is still in the series. He's a cat that only says one word, "lying," whenever someone isn't telling the truth. I love that cat, even if he's on the side of the enemy.

I found this to be the weakest so far of the Saga graphic novels. It was still very good and recommended - this is also the funniest volume - but it kind of dragged. It skips back and forth through time a little, but the main weakness is how it paces itself from set to set. I like the family; I like the enemies; I like the war; but I didn't like how it was all put together so much. Volume Three would've been better if it stuck to one group of protagonists or antagonists a little longer, as it did in the first two volumes. ***3/4

Roids
    Pretty Deadly, Vol. 1 is a beautifully illustrated Western Gothic tale of the undead, featuring the Grim Reaper and his daughter. It begins with a skeleton and a butterfly talking about the story; they appear in the beginning of each issue. The story then morphs into poetry about the story itself in the guise of an Old West show. I mostly bought it because it was only $6 or $7, and I'm deciding whether or not to continue reading the series.

I really liked the ending and the beginning of this graphic novel; it's a little heady and hard to get into, though. Pretty Deadly carries an M rating for mature audiences, and it's definitely geared for a more dedicated reader, though it's not bogged down by heavy dialogue or a Dickensesque vocabulary. Still, it's a little hard to follow, and for that, I'm only giving it ***1/4, though I do hold out hope for the series, because it has a great premise.

Roids
    I managed to pick up Clyde Fans, Book 1 by Seth for $0.27 plus $3.99 shipping off Amazon, and I couldn't be happier. The book was in excellent condition and included its dust jacket. Clyde Fans is the story of Abe and Simon Matchcard, brothers who work for their father's Clyde Fans company. Part 1 takes place in 1997, and it's Abe walking around, doing mundane chores while talking about the art of salesmanship. Part 2 takes place in 1957, and this time, it's Simon trying to make a go at it in the sales game.

There's nothing I love better than a well researched book. Seth is in top form; he does tend to use a lot of panels and a lot of dialogue/monologue, but that tendency is tempered in this volume. This is perhaps my favorite ongoing independent series, ahead of Saga and Lazarus. I really think this is worth a look. *****

Roids
    Lost Cat is Jasons 2012, 150-page graphic novella about a private detective down on his luck. The novella opens with the detective, Dan Delion, seeing a poster for a missing cat, and right next to it, the cat. Dan quickly falls in love with the cat's owner, but she turns up missing almost right away. Meanwhile, Dan takes up a bizzare case where an old man wants to find a nude portrait of his long lost love so that he can be cremated with the portrait.

I have trouble comparing Jason and his work to other comics because Jason's work engenders comparisons with the greatest writers of the 20th and 21st centuries. This short book sees Jason at his finest, reminding us of how absurd our lives are, while touching emotions we thought were buried under years of senseless violence on YouTube and the media. *****

Roids
    It's a Good Life, if You Don't Weaken (1994) is a semi-autobiographical picture-novella (173 pages) by Seth, who along with his friends Chester Brown and Joe Matt, is one of the three most famous Canadian cartoonists. Joe Matt led the way with autobiographical comics, becoming a big hit in Rolling Stone magazine. This lead Brown and Seth to do similar work. The basic premise of It's a Good Life is that Seth finds an old copy of The New Yorker with a cartoon by the relatively unknown but talented cartoonist known only as Kalo. Most of the novel is him researching this mysterious figure.

Despite its rather blase premise, I found myself liking this novella. No, it's not as explicit as Peepshow by Joe Matt or as heart wrenching as Chester Brown's I Never Liked You, but Seth is in my estimation the best artist of the three. It's in six parts; I read the first part, trolled Facebook, read the second part, trolled Facebook and read parts three through six in a go. I actually cared whether or not he found out who Kalo was, and for that, I'm giving this novella ****1/2

Roids
    Preacher, Vol. 2: Until the End of the World continues the story of Jesse, Tulip and Cass. A new character is introduced, Jesse's grandmother, and we learn more about Jesse's upbringing, and how he became a reverend in the first place. His family is simply twisted.

This TPB was longish, interesting, violent and intriguing. The artwork is more than competent, and the storyline arcs are still very strong. I'm wary of Preacher degenerating into mindless violence, but it hasn't so far. ****

You disappoint me, Rubio.

Roids
    Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow is a 2010 collection of four 1985 and 1986 Superman and Action Comics by Alan Moore. The first two are an imaginary story about the death of Superman, the first of which I accidentally bought in the early 1990s, when I tried to buy the issue where Superman dies, like everyone else. Then, a sick Superman flees to Florida to die, where he comes across the Swamp Thing. Finally, an alien invader tries to kill Superman.

1980s Superman isn't really my scene, and I bought this collection thinking that it would resemble What Ever Happened to the Caped Crusader by Neil Gaiman. This is, however, as good as Superman gets in the time period. As I posted earlier in this thread, Superman's only interesting when he's dying. ***; I love some of Alan Moore's stuff, but because he has such a broad spectrum of work, there's bound to be some that I don't like.

Roids
    The Manhattan Projects, Vol 1: Science Bad takes the greatest scientists of the mid-20th century - Oppenheimer, Einstein, Feynman, Von Braun - and makes them evil, power hungry sociopaths. Together with General Leslie Groves, they conspire to take over not only the world, but the heavens.

I really like this series so far; it's got a gritty sci-fi feel to it with no loss of carnage. Oppenheimer is the real star of this series, and right from the first issue, his character takes on a deliciously evil turn. ****1/2

Roids
    Palookaville #20 (2010) by Seth isn't for everyone. The first 19 issues of Pallooka Ville were plain old comics, but Palookaville #20 is a 100-page hardback edition. It's in three parts: half of "Clyde Fans, Part 4," a typed-out article on a three-dimensional city that Seth built, and pieces from his sketchbook, including a small segment about Seth going to a writers' convention.

The deep social angst Seth protrudes, again, isn't for everyone. In fact, "Seth" would make a great supervillain, if he'd just sell drugs, kill people or plot to take over the world. I personally was able to relate to Seth, and appreciate his artistic endeavors. Of the three sections, the weakest is "Dominion City," because as great an achievement as Dominion City is, Seth simply isn't an engaging enough prose writer. ****

Roids
    The First Law trilogy is now a comic, I believe. No idea if it's worth a damn, but I love Abercrombie's novels.

Roids
    I'm trying to think of a novel that was turned into a comic that I liked. Amazon keeps telling me I should read the comic version of The Graveyard Book.

You disappoint me, Rubio.
    How cna someone who reads shit like this ever disappoint anyone?

Roids
    Daredevil, Vol. 2: Parts of a Hole is the story of Daredevil, the blind superhero, and Echo, the deaf heroine/avenger. Echo is told that Daredevil killed her father by the man who actually killed her father, Wilson Fisk. While falling in love with Matt, the man underneath the Daredevil mask, she battles Daredevil at night.

I hated this TPB. It was predictable, it had no flow, and it was over-written. I didn't even read the coda, which consists of a story put in between two of the issues originally, but taken out so that the main story would be uninterrupted. The artwork was mostly good, although I was puzzled by how large Daredevil's hands are. Was Echo really so stupid that she couldn't recognize that the two people in the entire city capable of palming a 13-pound bowling ball were the same person? *1/2

Roids
    The Great Northern Brotherhood of Canadian Cartoonists by Seth is another unique graphic novel taking place in Dominion City. This time, it's about a social club for Canadian cartoonists in a ramshackle building. The graphic novel, which is in hardback, is a tour of the building, along with the cartoonists that have spent their time in there.

Seth isn't for everyone, but he's becoming one of my favorite cartoonists active today. The way he realizes different cartooning styles is really amazing, as is the way he juggles fact and fiction. He is verbose, and there are nine panels per page for 130-something pages, but I found it very easy to read and interesting. High recommendations. ****1/2

Roids
    God Is Dead, Volume 1 has a wide-ranging concept: the old gods, Norse, Egyptian, Greek, Aztek and so on, come back to life and begin spreading misery, as gods normally do. Some people worship them; some people fight them, including the American military, and a group of scientists in a remote headquarters who try to reverse-engineer the Gods of Science from the tissues of a god who died in a battle.

Epic, this is not. Interesting, it is. I've been a fan of Jonathan Hickman's writing since I started reading The Manhattan Projects, but this lacks the scope of, well, just about any major comic book arc. Things get wrapped up pretty well in the six full-color issues included in this TPB; it does continue, but the focus turns to the Gods of Science rather than the old gods, which are way cooler. ***3/4

Roids
    These all sound like absolute shit compared to Berserk.

Roids
    Some good pages in the new Hunter.x.Hunter issues.

Roids
    I just couldn't get through the first three books of Berserk. 'Got a couple of books by Seth in the mail today. That's some damn fine penciling in the Hunter.x.Hunter.

Roids
    Then just start from here, it's the chronological beginning: http://www.mangahere.co/manga/berserk/c009/

Nice. That must have taken a long time. If he had been more imaginative, that would have been as cool as a Bosch piece. But yeah..horned, multi legged t rex.

Roids
    Palookaville 21 (2013) is the most recent hardcover volume of stuff by Seth. It contains three sections: Section One is the continuation of "Clyde Fans, Part Four," Section Two is selections from Seth's "Rubber Stamp Diary," and Section Three is the first edition of "Nothing Lasts." While "Clyde Fans" and "Nothing Lasts" are typical comics, "Rubber Stamp Diary" is made up of stamps of generic scenes that Seth has drawn and written on.

Palookaville 21 is overwritten and self-indulgent. I struggled through "Rubber Stamp Diary," which is mostly just scenes (12 stamps to a page) of Seth wandering around railroad tracks and pondering life. I also had a little trouble getting into "Nothing Lasts," although I ended up liking it. "Clyde Fans, Part Four" is easily the strongest section of the two hardcover editions of Palookaville, and I had great hopes for the book when I started it.

I had a lot of trouble rating Palookaville 21 because it did drag so much during the middle. It's not even 100 pages long, but it takes a while to read, which is good and bad. The basic reason why I'm giving it **** is that if Palookaville 22 came out tomorrow, I'd buy it tomorrow.

Some good pages in the new Hunter.x.Hunter issues.
    I started watching HunterxHunter since a friend of mine kept insisting that it's one of the best animated series of all time. It is excellent but I feel I would be getting more out of it if I understood the genre that it's twisting. I've never read or watched Dragonball or Naruto or any of those other battle comics and it seems that this series is a commentary on those stories and their fans.

Roids
    I started watching HunterxHunter since a friend of mine kept insisting that it's one of the best animated series of all time. It is excellent but I feel I would be getting more out of it if I understood the genre that it's twisting. I've never read or watched Dragonball or Naruto or any of those other battle comics and it seems that this series is a commentary on those stories and their fans.
    HxH can be appreciated on its own, don't worry when you don't recognize shonen troupes like that when they hold a tournament in HxH, that many other shows have done that such as Dragonball. One thing that you should realize is the king ant looks identical to a bad guy in dragonball z (cell). In DBZ, cell is essentially an ultimate being. I think that basically the author (Togashi) was doing his take on the concept.

The anime is being done by Madhouse, who apparently is the best in the biz. It shows. There is also zero filler and they stay faithful to the manga. In fact, some of the manga sections were tough to understand due to translation errors or difficult to comprehend sloppy drawings and the anime offers some nice clarity. What arc are you on? The arc they just finished animating is really good, I'd like to hear what you think when you catch up.

The manga just started up again after 2 years. Everyone thought the author was probably just fucking off as he is rich as hell and has plenty of reason to do so, but judging from how good the new chapters are he has been working hard over the last 2 years on the new plot.

Roids
    Pocket Full of Rain is an out-of-print English language collection of Jason's early work. I paid $18 for a copy with a bent back cover and general dilapidation. It contains 25 stories from the 1990s, some of which are only a page long, and one of which takes up nearly a third of the 130 or 140 pages. It's all in black and white except for the collection of covers at the end of the book.

This is a book for completists. While I did enjoy it, and I did laugh out loud several times, Jason, while brilliant at times, hadn't yet found his voice at the time when the material was written. Still, Jason puts forth his best effort, and the book has his, "inspired silliness, absurdist slapstick, formal excursions, black humor, the mundane, the fantastic, existential comic strips (and) crime fiction," as James Sturm writes in the 2008 introduction (James Sturm wrote God, Gold and Goblins, which I covered earlier in this thread). ***3/4

Roids
    FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics, Volume 1 is the story of a world where the impossible is always possible; there are bubble universes, quantum tornados, gravity inversions, wormholes and all sorts of sci-fi goodness. And to make matters more interesting, the FBP has been privatized, leaving the Bureau gutted and underfunded.

FBP reminded me a bit of Jurassic Park. The visuals and science are stunning, but the people are one dimensional and boring. Halfway into the TPB, I thought things were going to pick up when an aspy Honduran woman becomes the main character's partner, but aspy characters (such as in The Bridge and The Millennium Trilogy) only work if they're well done and the people around them are over emotive, for contrast. FBP fails on both accounts. **3/4

HxH can be appreciated on its own, don't worry when you don't recognize shonen troupes like that when they hold a tournament in HxH, that many other shows have done that such as Dragonball. One thing that you should realize is the king ant looks identical to a bad guy in dragonball z (cell). In DBZ, cell is essentially an ultimate being. I think that basically the author (Togashi) was doing his take on the concept.

The anime is being done by Madhouse, who apparently is the best in the biz. It shows. There is also zero filler and they stay faithful to the manga. In fact, some of the manga sections were tough to understand due to translation errors or difficult to comprehend sloppy drawings and the anime offers some nice clarity. What arc are you on? The arc they just finished animating is really good, I'd like to hear what you think when you catch up.

The manga just started up again after 2 years. Everyone thought the author was probably just fucking off as he is rich as hell and has plenty of reason to do so, but judging from how good the new chapters are he has been working hard over the last 2 years on the new plot.
    Well, I'm caught up to the anime. I haven't read the manga because I don't really care for reading them. I think it's one of the most well-written shows ever made, but I would have a hard time discussing it without posting spoilers. Towards the end of the Chimera Ant arc, the art, writing, and acting all come together in a way that elevates them to a level greater than the sum of the parts. It's beautiful, philosophical, and at times moving. It's pretty entertaining how the author leads you along only to pull the rug out from under you. He knows exactly what he's doing. I'm glad I watched it though. I wouldn't have had the patience for the novels.